Rain cruels Australia's hopes in U19 World Cup Fifth Place Play-Off
February 08, 2020
AUSTRALIA U19s 8-319 (50 overs, Scott 66, Connolly 64, Hearne 58) v WEST INDIES U19s 1-62 (12.3 overs, Scott 1-6) at Willowmoore Park, Benoni.
AUDIO: Download Mackenzie Harvey interview here
Australia’s hopes of finishing the ICC Under 19 World Cup campaign on a high were scuppered by rain, with the Fifth Place Play-Off against West Indies in Benoni abandoned overnight.
After being sent in to bat, Australia piled on 8-319 courtesy of half centuries from Liam Scott (66), Cooper Connolly (64) and Lachlan Hearne (58), supported by other strong top order contributions.
But they were unable to capitalise on their dominant position, with rain interrupting the West Indies’ run chase in the 13th over. Play was officially abandoned after a significant delay.
The West Indies secured fifth place at the U19 World Cup courtesy of finishing top of Group B, with Australia sixth.
2020 ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup, South Africa
January 17 – February 9, 2020
- v West Indies, January 18, Diamond Oval, Kimberley. West Indies won by three wickets.
- v Nigeria, January 20, Country Club B Field, Kimberley. Australia won by 10 wickets.
- v England, January 23, Diamond Oval, Kimberley. Australia won by two wickets.
- v India, January 28, JB Marks Oval, Potchefstroom. India won by 74 runs.
- v Afghanistan, February 2, North West University Oval, Potchefstroom. Australia won by four wickets.
- v West Indies, Febraury 7, Willowmoore Park, Benoni. Match abandoned.