South Australia to host opening four rounds of Marsh Sheffield Shield
September 24, 2020
South Australia will host the opening four rounds of the Marsh Sheffield Shield in October and November, demonstrating Australian Cricket’s commitment to the domestic game despite the challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic.
The intent to play a full schedule was unanimously endorsed by the Australian Cricket Council last month – comprised of the Chairs of Cricket Australia, State and Territory Associations and the Australian Cricketers Association. The decision to play the first four rounds of the Marsh Sheffield Shield in South Australia allows for he best possible chance to play a full domestic schedule.
CA is working in partnership with the South Australian Government to ensure the competition proceeds in line with government regulations and COVID safety guidelines, with the safety of the South Australian community and all participants the highest priority.
Round one matches will begin on Saturday, October 10 with South Australia taking on Western Australia and Queensland facing Tasmania. Acknowledging the mandatory 14-day quarantine period for all Victorian arrivals into South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales have agreed to postpone their round one game to begin on Tuesday, November 17.
Three further rounds will be played in the October-November window before the KFC BBL|10 season begins in December.
Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s Interim Chief Executive Officer, said the revised schedule highlighted the intent of Australian Cricket to provide a full domestic schedule during the pandemic.
“The Marsh Sheffield Shield is an incredibly strong competition and for generations has been a crucial factor in the success of the Australian men’s team,” Hockley said. “It is the envy of cricketing countries throughout the world. We would like to thank the South Australian government for their willingness to work together to deliver these fixtures
“Many people have worked incredibly hard to arrive at this outcome, whilst recognising that player and staff safety and wellbeing remains the priority and having government restrictions in place to keep the community safe from COVID-19.
“CA will also be staging full rebel WBBL and KFC BBL competitions this summer, so there will be no shortage of action and opportunity for our women’s and men’s players.
“I would like to thank all our stakeholders across the game for their support, most notably the State and Territory Associations, the Australian Cricketers’ Association and Marsh. During this time navigating great risks and challenges, it's apt for cricket to have the support of Marsh, as our long term risk management partner, and as series supporters - Marsh's support continues to be important for CA and the series. Through good risk management we've been able to make this series a possibility."
Alistair Nicholson, Australian Cricketers Association Chief Executive Officer, said:
“Our players place an enormous value on our domestic competitions, and this has been reflected in their commitment and flexibility to get the game going.”
Corey Wingard South Australian Minister for Recreation, Sporting and Racing, said:
“This is fantastic news for South Australian cricket fans and it’s a testament to the wonderful job our state has done in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic,” South Australia’s Sports Minister Corey Wingard said.
“The health and wellbeing of South Australia is our number one priority but safely holding sporting events like this will also help to boost the local economy and support jobs at a time we need it most.”
Keith Bradshaw, South Australian Cricket Association Chief Executive Officer, said:
“We are pleased to play a significant role in delivering the summer of cricket and delighted that SACA Members and the public will have the opportunity to watch first-class cricket in South Australia.
“SACA appreciates the excellent working relationship between Premier Marshall, Minister Corey Wingard, Adelaide Oval, SA Health and Cricket Australia, which landed on this excellent and safe outcome for all.”
CA is planning to stage the remainder of the Marsh Sheffield Shield season, the Women’s National Cricket League, Marsh One-Day Cup and Under-19 Female and Male National Championships in 2021. Announcements regarding the fixturing of these matches will be made in due course.
2020-21 MARSH SHEFFIELD SHIELD FIXTURE
October 10-13: South Australia v Western Australia, Karen Rolton Oval
October 10-13: Queensland v Tasmania, Park 25
November 17-20: New South Wales v Victoria, venue TBC
October 19-22: South Australia v Tasmania, Karen Rolton Oval
October 19-22: Western Australia v Queensland, Park 25
October 22-25: Victoria v New South Wales, Adelaide Oval No. 2
October 30-November 2: New South Wales v Western Australia, Karen Rolton Oval
October 30-November 2: Victoria v Tasmania, Park 25
October 30-November 2: South Australia v Queensland, ACH Group Stadium, Glenelg
November 8-11: Queensland v Victoria, Karen Rolton Oval
November 8-11: Western Australia v Tasmania, Park 25
November 8-11: South Australia v NSW, ACH Group Stadium, Glenelg